a) A classic German mass analyzer design – in fact the first double focusing geometry of magnetic sector instruments – is still used for a certain method in inorganic MS. Can you name the analyzer and the method? Why is this analyzer important for the technique?
b) ICP-MS has become widespread in inorganic MS. The plasma torch is constructed of three coaxial tubes surrounded by the RF load coil.
1. Explain the function of each of these tubes.
2. What is the material they are made of?
3. Specify the temperature range of the ICP.
c) What do you know about ionization efficiency in TIMS?
1. How does it depend on the temperature of the filament?
2. Is it independent of the element to be analyzed?
3. Is it independent of the material of the metal ribbon?
Answered all questions? Want to see the solutions page?