a) Decide: right or wrong?
- Isotopic patterns depend on the elemental composition of an ion. YES
- Isotopic patterns depend on the ionization method used. NO
- The monoisotopic peak is always the most abundant peak within an isotopic pattern. NO
- The monoisotopic peak is always the peak of lowest m/z within an isotopic pattern. YES
- Isotopic distributions depend on the charge state of an ion. NO
- The charge state of an ion can be determined from the distance of isotopic peaks. YES
Do you memorize the isotopic compositions of fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine?
- Fluorine: monoisotopic
- Chlorine: 35Cl : 37Cl = 4 : 1
- Bromine: 79Br : 81Br = 1 : 1
- Iodine: monoisotopic